Friday, December 9, 2011

Poverty At Home





Poverty At Home

Written by : Jeffrey Hilton





I would like to touch on a subject that is making the rounds that I fully support.  Charity should start at home !  Charities, Rescue,  and other agencies are asking for money all the time from us,   and the majority of this aid,  goes to help in foreign countries.  While that is very noble, what about,  Battered Women,  Veterans,  Homeless People,  and the many children that are undernourished right here in North America or the U.K. etc. ?  Children are going hungry and full blown poverty is a reality right now in today's shaky down-turned economy.











As Canadians,  Americans,  and others,   we seem to care more about helping other countries abroad first,  before we help our own people.  This is not right and needs rethinking.  What I say is,  help a Canadian or American worthy cause that caters to our own first and then if you are lucky enough to afford the luxury of helping charities abroad,  then good for you.  There are many worthy charities. my financial situation usually dictates that I can give very little to charity. As such I always give to the Salvation Army and to the Veterans through the poppy charity.I give to these two charities even if I  only have a few dollars. I know that this will help Canadians and that they are both worthwhile charities that don't skim huge amounts off for administration.  Why should we have such rampant poverty in two of the richest countries in the world
with unlimited resources ?


I was approached yesterday to give to world vision and asked if I knew what their organization did.  Of course I do. why wouldn't
 I ?  They spend what would appear to be millions on advertising their cause.  I explained that I was on disability and could in no way afford to contribute.  The charities that spend the most on advertising are the ones you should be wary of.   Would I like to see cancer cured ?  Yes of course,  but if you added up all the money that goes for direct research and then found out what amount went to the untold numbers of administrators and such. You may see that these people are making huge salaries from this lucrative charity and living like retired politicians with their golden pensions,  would you still give to them ?


Research funds should not come from people like you and I,  but rather from the government themselves.  How many billions have they collected ?  And there still isn't a cure so keep sending us that money folks, until it hurts. I know this is not a foreign charity but it's not found a cure yet. A cure for cancer ?  If there is such an undiscovered cure, I think it will come from a medical scientist outside of the Cancer Society and that the cancer organization won't like it a bit as this would severely cut into their profits.  It's more likely the cure would get swept under the carpet,  like the Aspartame issues,  because too many people are making way too much money gained by donations to the cause.





Let's be Canadians and Americans that help other Canadians and Americans first. Cure the woes we suffer here first, then work our way around the world.  Surely common sense dictates this to be more reasonable.  I believe a good day is the feeling you get knowing you helped your own countrymen first and knowing they benefited greatly from it.  Then if you want to help in foreign countries, go ahead.  Please help eradicate poverty at home !




***


SHARE
JOIN
SUBSCRIBE
COMMENT
FOLLOW

Do Have A Good Day.


Jeffrey R Hilton











                                                                 
                                                                                                                









No comments:

Post a Comment

NOW MY SOUL

  NOW MY SOUL   WRITTEN BY   JEFF R HILTON   2024   LESS THAN PERFECT THAT'S OKAY NOBODY IS ANYWAY WOULDN'T THAT BE BORING ALL THE S...