Thursday, December 22, 2011

Memory Lane B.C. Holiday Missing Wallet Fiasco

On a fine summer day, we set out on vacation, driving to beautiful British Columbia from Alberta. I was so ready to get there and camp for a week by the lake and relax.We arrived at the campground and picked a camp site. I had driven there in my  GM pickup. I put the tent up and went to the office to register and pay the fees. I went to pull my wallet out and realized I didn't have it. Slightly embarrassed, I dismissed myself to go find it. Panic started to set in as I couldn't find it by retracing my steps. I looked in the tent, under it, among the camping gear, and of course I looked in the cab of the truck and all around it. I started looking around the campsite, scrutinizing every inch of the ground. It wasn't looking good and I was thinking we may have to abandon the whole trip and try to make it back home. The more I thought about it, the more determined I was to find it and the $700.00 in it.

Just then, a guy joined me and introduced himself as an off duty American A.T.F agent and offered his theories on where my wallet could be, like did I look in the garbage cans etc. as if someone found it, they would of  likely taken the money and ditched the wallet in a garbage. Great ! now I have to start looking through garbage cans ?  He helped me search for a awhile no results. Where the hell was it ? I was baffled. Another camper in a trailer nearby asked me what I was looking for and after I explained what happened, just like nothing, this total stranger from Edmonton Alberta, offers to lend  me $700.00. I was both shocked and grateful, but said I would think about it and let him know. My wife wasn't amused by any of  this either and I was starting to hear about it.


I went to the truck again and sat in the cab in the shade where it was cool and I could think about this. It was dark in the truck and I could hardly see the black dashboard in front of me. Just then it struck me like a bolt of lightning. Not only was the dash black, but so was the cubbyhole in the dash right in front of me and as I looked at where the cubbyhole was, I couldn't even see it. I reached into the dark space my hand met the cool black leather of my wallet. Oh ya ! My vacation only got better after that.The relief far outweighed any embarrassment I might of had.I'll always remember that day along with the kindness of a stranger once again that was there to help in a huge way if I needed it. It's not every day that someone would offer that kind of money in a bind like that to a young guy with long hair and a beard in the 80's.

Do Have A Good Day and ah.. Mind your wallet !
                             Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOW MY SOUL

  NOW MY SOUL   WRITTEN BY   JEFF R HILTON   2024   LESS THAN PERFECT THAT'S OKAY NOBODY IS ANYWAY WOULDN'T THAT BE BORING ALL THE S...