Friday, December 30, 2011

Collectible Treasures

COLLECTIONS




Not everyone has the kind of room this grandiose display of oil cans takes up.

Oil Cans
Pez  Dispensers

Collecting is an age old hobby that never seems to go out of style. Most collector's really find it a rewarding pass time.  Almost anything can be collected and often is.  Matchbooks,  Die-Cast,  Hot Wheels,  Thimbles,  Dolls,  Cups,  Action Figures,  Tea Pots,  Cars,  Coins,  Stamps,   Old Christmas Cards,  Hats or Caps,  Guns,  Trinkets,  Pictures,  Sports Cards,  Anything goes. The sky is the limit.  At one time I had a collection of over 350 baseball caps. Most I got for free, thankfully and eventually they were all sold on. At another time  I possessed a collection of  old stubby beer bottles which included every beer brewed in Canada in a stubby bottle. These are also long gone.  Sometimes we grow tired of our collections and pass them on or get rid of them,  which in most cases is a good thing. I had a collection of 550 Hot Wheel cars all still in their packages. This I had to sell when I moved country,  but I really enjoyed collecting these and it was a part of my weekly routine.  Some collections become worth a small fortune years later,  making it an even more rewarding hobby. 


Lunch Pails
Here's a Collection I'd Like To Have.
A lot of present day collectibles are reproductions of all things retro and that's fine if that's what you want,  but there are still plenty of original collectibles kicking around and hunting for them is all part of the allure.

Antique Cards

Like any collection,  it's always best to have a purpose built showcase or shelf unit to display your collection,  not only from an aesthetic standpoint,  but it also keeps your collection relatively dust free.   Sealed acrylic display cases come in many sizes now and are more readily available and affordable at craft stores.  

Even collecting something as simple as rocks can be fun,  offering a free unlimited supply and my favorite place for this is at the beach.  This has given me some pretty interesting rock gardens over the years.
These days having lost all my previous collections in one way or other, It's hard to think about having to start any of these collections all over again and I certainly don't want to be labelled as a pack rat, or clutter up my small space too much.
In spite of that,  I have got a little bit of a cactus collection on the go now and a collection of Canadian Nickels.  And then there's the two Hot Wheels I bought the other day.  I guess you just can't hold a good collector down.


Do Have A Good Day;  and happy hunting!
Jeff

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOW MY SOUL

  NOW MY SOUL   WRITTEN BY   JEFF R HILTON   2024   LESS THAN PERFECT THAT'S OKAY NOBODY IS ANYWAY WOULDN'T THAT BE BORING ALL THE S...