Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Go Steady And Be Very Very Afraid

As Canadians, we are blessed with a huge amount of unspoiled, often protected vast tracks of wilderness.It's hard to imagine the pioneer spirit lot's of us possess at work without it.
When I see the beauty of a mountain range complete with flowering meadows, hidden lakes and majestic dark forests, I can't help but to feel  some of that pioneer spirit in my blood. The awe, the mysteries that await there, the purity of the nature, the adventures and yes,  the dangers that lurk there.







I love the wilderness and I try to be there in it's midst whenever I can.
Having said that, it also scares me to death sometimes and I have the utmost respect for what it can do when the powerful forces of nature are unleashed there.


At the end of the day though, the thing I am truly afraid of are bears.
In my experience, I have seen a few Black bears and Brown bears.
I have never seen a Grizzly in the wild up close or even a Kodiak or a Polar bear and that's perfectly fine with me. I don't want to see them when I'm in the mountains and if I don't,  I figure it's a combination of me doing the right things along with some luck.


A new concern is well at hand in the wilderness in the form of a new bear that I don't want to meet either. It's a hybrid bear mix of grizzlies and polar bears mating with each other to form a Pizzly or a Grolar bear.
This is occurring due to the grizzlies range increasing while the polar bears range is shrinking causing them to venture further inland.
It's hardly breaking news as it's been going on for some time now and the few that have been killed or spotted have a white coat of a polar bear but have the hump of a Grizzly and the brown patches around the eyes like a Grizzly and often have paw colors to match a grizzly.






Source: Wikipedia

As I stand there with my can of pepper spray, bear repellent, I wonder if it will just become something the bear licks off his lips before he eats me. How effective is it ? Never mind, I don't want to find out. What I can tell you is that I wouldn't be camped in the wilderness without more protection than a can of spray to protect me. My ax and knife make me feel a bit more secure along with some back country common sense, and even armed with all that I know there are no guarantees.


The pleasure, peace and solitude that are on offer make it all worth it. 
Just follow the rules of being completely prepared and the rules of back country common sense. Bears don't like to be surprised and go to great lengths to hide away from humans and out of sight. If you surprise a bear, give him the chance to leave the area. Wave your arms and talk to him in a gentle voice so he knows you are human, back away slowly and diagonally maintaining a sight-line with the bear. Most of the time, the bear will be as surprised to see you as you are him. Never forget bears can run up to 40 M.P.H., so running is never an option. You running is like fast food for a bear and he will chase you down faster then you can say " Would you like Biggie Fries with that."



If he  stands up, it's only to observe you better. If he follows you as you back away, stop and hold your ground. He may attempt a mock charge and will only come to within  ten feet. If you have your bear repellent ready then use it if he approaches at a 6 - 8 ft. distance. Bears are intelligent and can sense fear like any animal. Keep your cool and an attack is still imminent, drop and play dead curling up in a ball with your hands protecting the back of your head and neck. If you are bitten more than once, then the attack has become a predatory attack and your only hope is to get up and fight viciously for your life and be vocal about it.
Oh and, good luck !


Avoid turning your camp site into a bear attraction by burning any garbage in a hot fire and then packing out the remains. Try not to eat strong smelling food like bacon or fish. Store your food in an elevated cache or away from your camp. Wash  dirty dishes asap with food smells in hot soapy water and promptly pack away. Cook away from tent. Do not set camp too close to a game trail. Bears like you and I, like to travel on a trail.
When hiking, make noise, use bells, sing and talk loudly. this will alert any bears to your whereabouts and give them a chance to leave the area.
Try to travel through bear country with the wind at your back.


If you are after pictures of bears, maintain a safe distance and use a long lens only. If you are approached when fishing and you have a fish on, cut your line. This will teach the bear that he is not guaranteed a fish just by approaching a fisherman.


Chances are good you won't see any bears as they tend to avoid us as much as possible, but remember you are in their space and respect that space and just be glad we don't have all three species of bears in Alberta as our American friends do in Alaska. Or is that three and a half species ?


Good Day My Friends ;    
Jeffrey Robert Hilton


                        


  









No comments:

Post a Comment

NOW MY SOUL

  NOW MY SOUL   WRITTEN BY   JEFF R HILTON   2024   LESS THAN PERFECT THAT'S OKAY NOBODY IS ANYWAY WOULDN'T THAT BE BORING ALL THE S...