Monday, January 2, 2012

By The Sea

Southsea



Living by the sea is a dream I've always had living most of my life in landlocked Calgary Alberta. The salty taste of the sea on your lips in the breeze and on your skin.
Watching boats of every size and description passing me by while I sit on the beach, content with life. My skin warm from drinking up every drop the sun has to offer as it shimmers on the gentle rollers breaking against the shore, creeping ever closer with the rising tide.I walk down the beach with my head down scanning the shingle for unusual stones or perhaps some small treasure that's has washed up away from prying eyes. The sea draws me near her every chance she gets and I succumb to her persistent voice.  She draws me right into her restless expanse and I go willingly but wary of her. I bravely swim out past my comfort zone and begin to feel the strong pull of the tide as it sweeps me along. I turn for the beach and crab my way back to shore, beaching a 1/4 mile from where I got in the water. I'm exhilarated but exhausted. I'm satisfied but I want more.


 When the sun was absent and the winds whipped the seas up in a frenzy she still called me there to watch her wild untamed dance.  Driving rain peppering my face
the wind wildly pushing at me, as every step closer to the sea is a bigger fight to keep my feet and gain ground. I get the feeling that as I'm straining so hard against the wind, if it stopped suddenly I would be hurled forward and land on my face. I could barely see where I was going as the wind and rain forced my eyes shut. The energy from the storm is so intense that I  feel it course right through my body as I stood on the hill for the shot below, astounded the sea had risen that much, I felt the reality that the right gust of wind and perhaps a rogue wave, could easily pluck me from my precarious perch,  was a very real possibility,  but I couldn't leave yet. I had to try and watch this incredible show a bit longer. Two long minutes went by with me fighting to keep my balance and then a powerful wind gust lifted all 220 lbs of me and thrust me backwards,  setting me down again precariously close to a sheer drop down a wall that had been behind me. I got my wake up call and was out of there like Jack the Bear. I left the seafront with the wind at my back hurrying me along without choice and steered well around any big trees in my path. I was soaked to the skin and the second I reached the High street, the sun came out and the storm was over. It was awesome.




The Sea Boiling Over Into Southsea Castle's Moat


I got to live that life for 4 years on the South Coast of England and it was everything I imagined it would be and more. I'm sure I could have gotten used to being there for the rest of my days.  It's just that life doesn't always go according to plan and maybe the time there was meant to end then.  Whatever it was,  I feel so blessed to have realized that dream if only a part of it and for a short time.  I had some of the most life enriching experiences there and met a lot of colorful people. I got to saturate myself in ancient history and experience for myself some of the places my ancestors roamed about and settled in. At times, places even seemed familiar that I had never visited. I was rarely without a camera and used it at every opportunity. I hope you enjoy some of these shots as much as I enjoyed taking them.








Coming Into Portsmouth Harbor At Sunrise

HMS Warrior


Eastney Beach Southsea

Hillhead


Camber Docks Old Portsmouth

HMS Victory

Southsea Gold

Portsmouth Harbor Tugs

Shoreham By Sea


Sails In The Solent


Gilkicker Gosport

Yacht at Gunwharf Quays


Hovercraft at Southsea
By the sea the days seem gentler and dreams come easy.  The sea runs right into your blood and becomes part of you. It speaks directly to your heart and soothes you to contentment. It's been awhile now since I became distant with her, but I know she is still there waiting for me and I hope to see her again soon. Atlantic, Pacific, it matters not which, only that my heart gets to swell again like her waves someday becoming a sight for tired eyes and a hungry soul.

Do Have A Good Day And Dream
                                                            Jeff R Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOW MY SOUL

  NOW MY SOUL   WRITTEN BY   JEFF R HILTON   2024   LESS THAN PERFECT THAT'S OKAY NOBODY IS ANYWAY WOULDN'T THAT BE BORING ALL THE S...