Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winston & Watson Finch Update





From the Left Winston and Watson





Winston and Watson are well settled in now in their corner of the living room where their antics don't go unnoticed easily and they are a constant source of amusement. Winston being the first Finch purchased, is slightly older than Watson and he flies around the cage a bit and only lands on perches unless he wants something on the floor of the cage, or to land on a food or water cup.  Watson however is a different bird altogether. He's like a little Kamikaze,  he lands on perches alright but he also flies at the front of the cage and lands on the wire,  or lands on the top of the cage roof to get to the top of the millet.  Winston seemed fine with this and content to let Watson show off his acrobatics until recently.  Now he's finally copied Watson's idea and is trying to get it but instead of landing on the front of the cage wire he flies at it,  stops and hovers a second then takes off the other way. 


Like any finches,  they benefit from,  and love the deluxe seed mix,  I mix the deluxe seed into the cheaper seed,  so that it's not too rich and it goes farther.  That and along with millet sprays,  they seem to be thriving.  I'm starting to experiment with putting a few small pieces of vegetables. I've just begun with this and tried some broccoli and they didn't seem interested this time around.  It doesn't hurt to offer them bits of fruit as well now and again.  You just have to experiment until you hit on something they like.


I  had offered the birds a bath at least once a week since I got them and they showed no interest in it other than to have a drink from it. I left it in the cage for a few hours each time and then removed it.  Just yesterday a bath was offered to them again and Watson checked it out first as he is more adventurous but yet more skittish of the two.  He jumped in finally and started bathing in earnest.  Of course Winston soon got in on the action.  It was like watching two little kids at a wading pool,  thrashing around in the water and chirping up a storm and having a great time.  Watson stayed in the whole time and the longest and Winston was in twice for two short baths. Content they landed on the lower perches and I made a mental note to cover the wall behind the cage by putting a towel over the cage at the back as they shake off the excess water much like dogs do and splattered the wall with water.  I will offer them the bath once a week now and I'm sure they will use it now.


Out of the two nests on offer to them,  they prefer the covered roof one best and only use the open nest for lounging in occasionally.  When I first got these guys,  I put some hay in their nests and put some on the floor of the cage for them to add more as they pleased , but they were not interested so I added it myself.  Lately however at least once a week now I add a small pile of hay on the floor of the cage and as soon as I put it in,  they go to work taking turns adding it to the nest until it's all in there. If they drop it, they immediately go and retrieve it and try again.  Without trying to sound too boring,  this is fun to watch. they always go in turn and are like little construction workers.


Both birds have  different calls and songs if you want to call what they do songs. I went for a walk today at a reservoir to try out my new camera and ended up picking up three pieces of driftwood that I took home.  I've made one into a natural perch just like the ones they sell in pet stores with just a few small bits I had on hand,  and installed it in their cage.  They love it and it's a smaller diameter than their perches which is better for their little feet.


They have been trying to mate each other lately and as two males, I'm not sure this is a good thing.  If I put a female in there now,  she will have to be big,  bold and bossy so she can take a round out of these two if they get too frisky with her.  For now I'm not planning on getting a hen just yet,  so these two bozo's will have to learn how to cool off.


Do Have A Good Day From The Fine Folks At The Finch Funny Farm!     Jeff   

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOW MY SOUL

  NOW MY SOUL   WRITTEN BY   JEFF R HILTON   2024   LESS THAN PERFECT THAT'S OKAY NOBODY IS ANYWAY WOULDN'T THAT BE BORING ALL THE S...